Speech by Mahatma Gandhi on The Eve of Dandi March

Speech by Mahatma Gandhi on The Eve of Dandi March

[On 11 March 1930, a crowd of more than 10,000 people gathered at the evening prayer held on the sands at Sabarmati, Ahmedabad. Finally, Gandhiji gave a memorable speech on the eve of his historic dandi march]

Gandhiji said that "there is every possibility that this will be my last speech given to you. If the government allows me to march tomorrow morning, it will still be my last speech on the sacred banks of this Sabarmati. Perhaps these are the last words of my life to be spoken here."

I have already told you what I wanted to say. Today I will tell you what you should do after my and my colleagues are arrested. The program of march up to Jalalpur must be completed as originally decided. Enrollment of volunteers for this purpose should be limited to Gujarat only. What I have done and heard during the last fortnight, I am of the opinion that the stream of civil resistance will continue to flow unceasingly.

But even after all of us are arrested, there should not be a glimpse of disturbing the peace. We have resolved to use all our resources especially in non-violent struggle. Nobody should make any mistake in anger. This is my hope and prayer. I want my words to reach every corner of the country. If I and my partner do this, my work will be done. After this, the Congress Working Committee will have the responsibility to show you the way and it will be up to you to follow their leadership. Until I reach Jalalpur, nothing has to be done to violate any rights entrusted to me by the Congress. But once I get arrested, the entire responsibility rests with the Congress. Therefore, as a cult, no one who believes in non-violence needs to sit silent. As soon as I am arrested, my alliance with the Congress ends. Volunteers should, in such a situation, start civil disobedience of salt wherever possible. My compact with Congress ends as soon as I am arrested. In this case volunteers can violate these laws in three ways. Wherever there is a facility to manufacture salt, making salt is a crime. The possession and sale of forbidden salt, including natural salt or salt soil, is also a crime. Buyers of such salt will also be equally guilty. Likewise, it is a violation of the law to collect and store natural salt on the seashore. The sale of such salt is also a crime. In short, you choose one or all three of these tools to break the salt monopoly.

Nevertheless, we do not have to be content with just that. No sanctions have been imposed by Congress and other appropriate measures can be adopted wherever local activists have confidence. I have emphasized only one condition, namely, that our pledge about truth and non-violence should be faithfully upheld as the only means for achieving Swaraj. For the rest, everyone has freedom. But, please do not give a license to everyone and diverse people to act on their own responsibility. Where local leaders are, their orders should be followed by the people. Where there is no leader and only a handful of people believe in the program, if they have enough confidence, they should do what they can. They do not have the right to do so, it is their duty. History is replete with examples of people who emerged to lead, only on the strength of confidence, bravery and perseverance. If we sincerely desire to get Swaraj and are desperate to get it, then we should have the same confidence. With the increase in the number of arrests by the government, our status will increase and our hearts will be strengthened.

Apart from these, a lot can be done in many other ways. Liquor and foreign cloth shops can be staged. If we have the requisite power, we can refuse to pay taxes. Lawyers can leave practice. The public can boycott legal courts by avoiding public litigation. Government employees can resign from their posts. Those who resign in the midst of despair are shivering in fear of losing employment. Such people are unfit for Swaraj. But why this disappointment? The number of government employees in the country does not exceed a few hundred thousand. what about the rest? where are they going? Even independent India will not be able to accommodate a large number of government employees. A collector will not need as many servants as he gets today. He will be his own servant. Millions of our starving people cannot bear this huge expenditure in any way. So, if we are smart enough, then we should say goodbye to government employment, whether it is a judge's post or a peon. Put aside those who cooperate with the government, whether it is to pay taxes or hold titles, or to send children to government schools or in any other form, as far as possible, to return their cooperation in all ways Give Additionally, there are women, who can stand shoulder to shoulder with men in this struggle.

You can consider it my wish. This was the message I wanted to convey to you before starting the march or going to jail. I want that there should be no suspension or abandonment of the war that starts tomorrow, if I get arrested tomorrow morning or before that. I will eagerly wait for the news that ten new groups are ready as soon as our group is arrested. I believe that there are people in India who will complete this work started by me. I believe in the justification of our work and the sanctity of our weapons. And where the way is right, God is undoubtedly present with his blessings. And where these three meet, defeat is impossible. A satyagrahi is always victorious, whether he is independent or kept in prison. He is defeated only when he abandons truth and non-violence and ignores the voice of Antman. Therefore, if a single Satyagrahi is defeated, he himself is the cause. May God bless you all and overcome all obstacles in the struggle starting tomorrow.

Mahatma, Vol. III (1952), pp. 28-30
Source: Selected works of Mahatma Gandhi Volume-Six

0 Comments